How to Winterize Your FOB or FOC Iron & Sulphur Filter
The only time you would need to think about winterizing your Iron & Sulphur filter or your water softener is when you plan on shutting off all of the heat in a home or cottage over the winter and you’re concerned about it freezing. Well unfortunately there is no way to keep these systems from the damage caused by freezing without properly draining and storing them. Previously we thought you needed to remove them and store in a warm place, but if you follow this procedure you’ll be fine.
This is actually pretty simple to do if you have an Iron/Sulphur filter that is easy to bypass and disconnect like our FOB/C’s with their Clack WS1 valves. You may want to check out one of my other videos on how these systems work here before proceeding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP1DPz81MVA
We offer discount pricing and free shipping on these systems, check them out here!
Once you have determined that your FOB/C can be easily disconnected for winter storage just follow the following procedure.
1) Put the FOB/C into a regeneration cycle and wait until you hear the unit backwashing water to the drain. Bypass the unit.
2) Advance the FOB/C through the regeneration cycles until it gets back to the service or home position.
3) Unplug and disconnect the drain line, but be ready to catch some water flowing back from the drain line especially if it drains over head.
4) Shut off the water from the pump and disconnect the FOB/C inlet and outlet from the household plumbing, be prepared to catch any water that will leak out.
5) Lean FOB/C over a bucket to remove as much of the water that will flow out. Lay it down until it drains completely. Plug holes with clean clothes and leave laying down for winter storage.
6) Unscrew the injector cover and drain the water, replace cap.
7) Drain the rest of the house hold plumbing, check my video on Cottage winterizing here. Be sure to open the bypass once all of the plumbing has drained.
When it comes time to re install your FOB/C in the spring, reverse the steps above. Once it is reassembled,bypass the FOB/C before turning the water back on, then put the unit into backwash mode andslowly refill the water softener by partially opening the bypass inlet until you see water flowing to the drain from the drain line. Advance the valve through the regeneration cycles until you get to the service position.
Open a faucet and let water run to drain to remove air, etc. Check for leaks.Then start a complete regeneration cycle until finished and your FOB/C is back in service.