How to Make Your Water Softener Last Longer
Extending the life of your water softener will save your family money! This is what you need to do:
1) Make sure the settings are correct. Have your water tested for hardness and iron and make sure you program your water softener accordingly. Also some high efficiency water softeners like the Aquamaster require you to input how many family members are in the home and have a special setting if you have iron so be sure your settings are correct.
2) Use the correct salt for your water softener, this video will help you decide what type is best for your family - What is the best type of salt to use in a water softener.
3) Do not overfill your brine tank. The salt needs to turn over and not clog, this video explains it for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3TpdeNX58E
4) Clean out the brine tank every five years or so, this video shows you how https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQT7c9wIzWY&t=15s
5) Clean the water softener's injector every 5 years or so, this video shows you how https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eonviqm58bA
6) Use a media cleaner like Res Care or Iron Out periodically, this video shows you how. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8QKYr3B02I
Follow this advice and you will get the maximum life from your water softener.